Saturday, August 30, 2008

Have a Daisy Day!



"Have a Daisy Day" - that was the cheery message I stuck inside each of the press giftbox containing a daisy cupcake! I decided to post about this 'blast from the past' - a project I was pretty proud of from last year - when I received this really nice photo from my customer. Again, I may be good with cakes, but most of the time my customers take better pictures than I ever could!

I was asked to create press gifts for the Marc Jacobs Daisy fragrance launch - the brief required it to reflect the fragrance. I took one look at the bottle (pic above) and knew exactly what I wanted to create. The fondant daisies were more tedious than I thought though, as the centers had to be delicately painted with gold petal dust. This project was pretty daunting too at the time, as I made individually-boxed deluxe cupcakes as gifts, and additional smaller ones to serve up at the event. This meant a whole week of cutting, shaping and painting lots of daisies .... in that early part of my 'cupcake career', it was quite stressful indeed!

What I love about the whole creation is actually the makeup of the cupcake itself. It reflected the 'notes' or 'bouquet' of the fragrance - vanilla as the cake flavour, a dousing of jasmine syrup, then a light filling of homemade strawberry conserve topped with a grapefruit buttercream swirl! I wonder if anyone noticed on first bite though, haha!


The photo above was from a later related event - a party at the Marc Jacobs boutique in Pavilion Shopping Centre. I just thought it did justice to my handiwork! I was told later that some guests actually thought they were for display and not to be eaten! Anyway, I felt honoured to have been able to create cupcakes for a well-known international brand.

No comments: